Wonderful Wednesday 09

1 June 2016

It feels slightly strange to actually be writing this post on a Wednesday! Normally I try to write bits of it throughout the course of the week, jotting down things that have made me smile, before trying to tie it all together and finish it off on a Tuesday evening. But this week I've been in Germany (yay!) - we got back to England last night (isn't it coooold down south?!) and thankfully I had booked the Wednesday as annual leave too so I'm sitting at my kitchen table, sipping a coffee and nibbling on toast covered with lashings of Nutella, clearly trying to make my holiday last as long as possible.

I'm also clearly trying to bring 'lashings of' back...I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere other than in my favourite Enid Blyton books ('lashings of ginger beer'!) but I always remember that her descriptions of picnics used to make me feel so hungry and it therefore seemed apt for my Nutella-based breakfast. Yums.

So without further ado, and before I reach for the Nutella jar again, here are some of my favourite bits from the last week...I'm not going to make it too Dusseldorf-focused because I want to do a separate post on that, to include the amazing gluten free café I discovered while we were there.

♥ Kindness of strangers... This was my first trip to Germany and we met some really wonderful people while we were there. As we were driving home from the airport on our first day, I spotted lots of little vans with strawberries on top selling, wouldn't you know, fresh strawberries and amazingly delicious freshly-picked white asparagus. We stopped to pick some up and, while we were talking together, the lady who ran the stall gave us some fresh cucumbers, one for each of us. SO tasty!


♥ Holidaying with my mister... You know how it is, during the week you're at work all day and have a snatched few hours together in the morning and evening, most weekends are generally filled with tasks and from time to time you're meeting up with your own friends... I love holidays for many things but also for the fact that I get to spend some time just adventuring with the mister. We were staying with his sister and her husband who live in Germany so this trip was a little more of a family break but it was still wonderful just to get away together.

♥ Sweet treats... I thought about separating these into different categories but then realised that my list
would be about 8 pages long and only sweet-based, so I decided to group them together. Oh my goodness, I have enjoyed some sweet treats this week! Beginning with Nutella for breakfast - I know I can buy it over here but would never have it as a child and always associate it with holidays to Europe and besides, if I got into the habit of buying it in England it would officially be the end of the world for me and any hope I may have of eating vaguely healthily. This would then be followed up throughout the day by some form of Kinder chocolate, perhaps with a Haribo chaser. We've brought some back - shameless Instagram plug of my suitcase snap! - and not all of this is for our colleagues at work. Hopefully I can make this last at least until the weekend. At least.

♥ Holiday reads... I popped into WHSmith at the airport to pick up a couple of books, knowing I wouldn't get much of a chance to read during the holiday but I'm looking forward to finishing them off over the days to come. I know I'm about a year late to 'The Girl on the Train' but I've heard good things about it and thought I'd read it before the movie is released to try to avoid spoilers, which I haven't picked up on so far. The other, which I hadn't heard anything about was 'The Improbability of Love' by Hannah Rothschild, which I'm about halfway through and I absolutely ADORE IT! It centres around a woman who stumbles across a dirty forgotten masterpiece of a painting in an old junk shop and is drawn into the tumultuous world of London's art scene as she tries to discover the secrets behind the old painting. One review I read mentioned 'skulduggery in the London art world' - how could I not choose this book after reading a review including such a fabulous word?! - and it's a really engrossing read. I'm trying to make it last while at the same time I just want to spend every minute reading it.

♥ Vicarious pet ownership... One of the biggest highlights of visiting my wonderful sister and brother in law was the fact that they have a cat and a dog. A tabby cat and a young cocker spaniel to be precise. I was in heaven. There's something so special about a dog rushing to greet you after a busy day out and this few days with them has only amplified my longing for a dog. Even getting attacked by mozzies during a dog walk and the smell of hot wet dog after she plunged into every stream/lake/puddle she could find didn't put me off. It wouldn't be fair for me to get a dog now though as I work too long each day so I'll just have to snatch these moments where I can. Folks with pets (out of the Wonderful Wednesday crew, I'm looking at you Michelle, Kate and Jo!), more pet-based posts please so I can vicariously live through you!


♥ Competition excitement... Last but by no means least this week was finding out on Monday evening that I'd won lovely Emma's Blogiversary bundle! I was just starting to pack up my suitcase, dreading flying home the next day, when I saw the wee Twitter notification pop up. Such a lovely surprise and made the thought of travelling home and back to normality just that little bit sweeter...

♥ Do let me know what's made your week a little rosier by leaving me a comment below (I do love comments!) or dropping me a tweet (I'm @happygoluckycat) or better yet, why not join the fabulous bunch of #WonderfulWednesday bloggers? Pop over to their blogs for a dose of mid-week happiness - SallyMichelleHelenKateJoEmma and Kate - and then join me in counting down the days until the weekend. It's in sight! 

2 comments

  1. I like 'lashings of' and skullduggery really deserves a much higher profile. What a word.

    Hope you like The Girl on the Train, I finally got to it when we were on hols too and I did like it but it took me a while to get into.
    I can definitely oblige with the pet spam but I 100% need some haribo bribes. It's a deal breaker.

    Cannot wait to hear all about Dusseldorf.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, that's a worthy exchange. Love the Pete and Betty spam! x

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Happy Go Lucky Cat. Design by FCD.