A visit to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew

20 August 2017


As I mentioned in last week's Wonderful Wednesday post, I spent last Sunday enjoying the sunshine in Kew Gardens. I really can't believe that I've never properly visited the stunning Kew Gardens before, particularly when it was right on our doorstep, but that always seems to be the way with some of London's more 'touristy' sights. I know I'll be back again though, next time with a delicious picnic to fully appreciate the day. There are several restaurants scattered around the park but they were absolutely heaving on the day we visited. We did pop into the café by the main entrance at the end of our visit and I had a cup of tea and THE most delicious slice of a gluten free lemon and courgette cake - sounds dubious but it was super tasty.

I wanted to share some photos of our day...a little walk through the Gardens with us. Apart from the Treetop Walkway though. Did you know that giant metal structure shakes ever so slightly?! Neither did I. I was too busy praying/swearing to take any photos from there.

Onto the photos, beginning with the stunning Palm House.














The wonderfully peaceful Japanese garden:









All of your problems suddenly feel ever so slightly insignificant in the scheme of things when you're gazing up at the ancient Redwood trees...







Have you ever visited Kew Gardens? Did you love every moment of the Treetop Walkway?! Thoughts on making cakes with vegetables? After that courgette and lemon cake, I think I could be persuaded...

8 comments

  1. Kew Gardens are the best gardens I've been to! There is so much to see; even a full day barely seems to do it justice. Your photos are beautiful.

    I once found an entire website dedicated to desserts with vegetables in them (https://veggiedesserts.co.uk/), but somehow have never gotten around to making one. I'd certainly be willing to try them, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and thank you for the link - I'll definitely have a browse on there and report back with any gems I find!

      Delete
  2. Those redwoods are amazing! And lemon and courgette cake sounds delicious; hands down the best cake I ever had was lime and courgette but I've never been able to replicate the recipe, much to my disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can well believe it, the lemon and courgette was superb. I was a little sceptical at first but all doubts have been firmly put to bed, I'd choose it over a standard cake anytime now.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, how magical. That's just my kind of day out. I actually really enjoy going to botanical gardens in the wintertime, since you can usually see all the summer plants, there's always less people because it's cold outside, but the good thing about being a botanical garden (especially when it's a greenhouse one) is that it's so much warmer in the greenhouse. It's a great way to warm up in the winter.

    I think all the botanical gardens and greenhouses I have visited have been during our winter trips as a way to warm up in the afternoons haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha an excellent tip! I'll keep that in mind during a winter holiday somewhere!!

      Delete
  4. I love Kew Gardens, I visited a number of times when I lived in London years ago. It's especially amazing in the spring with all the daffodils and then again when the bluebells come out, magical. It's such a perfect escape in the city. Gorgeous photos! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo! Yes, I'd really love to visit it during other seasons to see the changes around the gardens...hopefully it won't take waiting for another person to visit to make me do it! x

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Happy Go Lucky Cat. Design by FCD.