Wonderful Wednesday 43

30 August 2017

I'm sitting here in my kitchen, sipping a cup of tea and writing this on the last day of an extra long (for me!) bank holiday weekend, and it's also my birthday! Could this Wednesday get any more wonderful?! I've been thoroughly spoiled already and it's not even 10am yet (as I write this), this getting older mallarkey really isn't so bad.

I'm breaking the trend ever so slightly this week as my Wonderful Wednesday is pretty much focused on this weekend, as it really was the highlight of my week. So without further ado, let the wonderful begin!

****

♥ Long weekend adventures... I've been looking forward to this weekend for weeks (having a birthday just after, with a few days off tacked on unsurprisingly has that effect!) and it really didn't disappoint - it contained everything I look for in a good weekend; time with my husband, good food, family catch-ups, a dash of culture and all manner of London adventures. The husband unfortunately has to work today so we decided to spend the weekend doing some of the things that I'd have chosen to do on my birthday itself and thankfully, it was gloriously sunny all weekend enabling us to spend a good amount of time outside adventuring.


On Saturday, after getting the cleaning out of the way, my husband made us a delicious breakfast (it's been an age since I've had boiled eggs and soldiers) and we then headed to Leighton House to check out the Alma-Tadema exhibition. Leighton House in Holland Park is the former home of the painter Lord Frederic Leighton and it is absolutely stunning in its own right, particularly the Arab hall with its mosaics and beautiful tiles. Upstairs, in Lord Leighton's studio, you'll find lots of his paintings and other artworks in different stages of completion. At the moment, with the Alma-Tadema exhibition on, his paintings are on display around the house. Although I recognised some of the paintings, he's a Victorian artist that I knew very little about but you're always onto a winner sending me to see something Victorian with classical themes, I loved it. It was wonderful to see some paintings I knew but had never considered in such detail before. Look at the perspective on this picture below, which I absolutely adore - how high they are looking down at the small ships below. I know that thought is is no way earth-shattering but I had never actually noticed or thought about that detail before. Oh to have that talent!

A Coign of Vantage (1895) - Sir Laurence Alma-Tadema
Image found here.

As it was such a beautiful day, we decided to walk from Leighton House through Holland Park to the Design Museum, which is now located on High Street Kensington. The building itself is absolutely incredible, I spent a good amount of time just standing in the main hall looking up! We didn't go into any of the paid exhibitions on Saturday but popped into the permanent exhibition on the top floor, which is an exhibition of contemporary design from three viewpoints - designer, manufacturer and user. It was really interesting to see the evolution of some products that I use everyday and to spot some of the things that have formed part of our lives over the years. If you're looking for a museum to add to your list when you're next visiting London, do check it out. There's also a really excellent shop (!) with lots of fantastic gift ideas if you're looking for something a little different for someone.

On Sunday we visited my parents for lunch. My brother and his girlfriend were there too, as well as my grandmother and my aunt and uncle, with one of my cousins. My mum put on the tastiest buffet lunch, including a homemade gluten free apple cake which I thought I'd be too full to try but hey, I managed it. Sunday was absolutely glorious down in London so we were out in the garden for most of the day until we were chased inside by the smoke of a neighbour's bonfire (seriously guys, on a bank holiday?!)


Monday was the most splendiferous of days! We started with brunch at my favourite café in London - Beyond Bread in Fitzrovia. I know I've raved about it here before but it really never disappoints and the thrill of knowing everything on the menu is gluten free and completely safe to eat just never gets old. My husband opted for the full English (he'd been for a 10k run already that day so it's fair to say that he'd earned it) while I deliberated between pancakes or waffles or something more savoury. In the end, the smoked salmon with avocado and poached eggs on toast won out but I'm still thinking about those waffles, even now as I write this...

Feeling exceedingly full but very happy, we then walked from Fitzrovia to Regent's Park and through there to Primrose Hill. Before braving the hill itself, we stopped for a few drinks in a lovely old pub on the high street, then wandered along the street and people-watched for a little while (well, dog-watch in my case...there are always lots of beautiful dogs in that part of London) before re-fuelling with some ice cream before heading up to the top of the hill. Although hot, it was a gorgeously clear day and the view from Primrose Hill over London itself is incomparable. The park itself was full of people; picnic-ing, playing games, reading or just having a little snooze in the sunshine. Everyone in London was determined to enjoy the bank holiday sunshine, it was a wonderful atmosphere.

We sat on a bench at the top of the hill for a little while, watching a chap with a dog who was just longing to have her ball thrown for her at every opportunity. He clearly just wanted a short rest and she kept picking the ball up, walking a little closer to him and then dropping it down again, looking at him expectantly. Even when he poured her some water into a little bowl he was carrying for her, she didn't lose focus. She took the smallest of sips before picking up her ball, dropping that into the water and then plucking it out again and dropping it down. Such a good dog.

We headed back down the other side of Primrose Hill and walking to St John's Wood, where we hopped on a train home. A lot of walking and talking with my favourite person, it was the best day.

♥ Extra long weekends... There's something particularly delicious about having a few extra days off, when everyone else is heading back to work! My body clock has been waking me up at my normal time for work over the last few days but it's been fabulous to curl back up under the sheets for a while longer. This morning, I put on an old Desert Island Discs podcast and lay in bed listening to Gregory Peck's dulcet tones. There are certainly worse ways to start your day.

♥ Delicious pastries... Thanks to that husband o'mine, I've been kept in delicious pastries for the last few days. He picked up a brioche loaf and two croissants for me at Beyond Bread on Monday and I've been eking them out ever since! I can't tell you how long it's been since I've had either of those things and my word, it has been worth the wait. This morning, I had a warm croissant with jam and it made my heart sing. What a way to start the day!


So, those are my highlights from the last week and now I'd better get ready and head out for my birthday day! I've also just noticed that all of my photographs this week have been food-related...definitely the sign of a good week. Hope yours has been just as good!

♥ Do let me know what's made your week a little rosier by leaving me a comment below or dropping me a tweet (I'm @happygoluckycat) or better yet, why not join the fabulous bunch of #WonderfulWednesday bloggers? Pop over to their blogs for a dose of mid-week happiness - SallyMichelleHelenKateJoSamanthaKerri, LauraSarahPetaElLauraMimmiMartinaLynseyKatie and Em (I think that's everyone - shout at me if you're not on the list!) - and then join me in counting down the days until the weekend. It's in sight! 

15 comments

  1. Oh my lovely here's wishing you the happiest of happy birthdays. I hope this year brings you so much love, happiness, adventure and all of the best wonderful wednesday's you could ever wish for!

    It sounds like you've had such a gorgeous very long weekend! How wonderful that so many of your family members got together on Sunday, your mums cake sounds amazing!
    Love,
    Peta x
    www.pe-ta.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Peta, what a wonderful birthday wish - I really hope so too! x

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday for yesterday!
    You've made me hungry now!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, happy birthday to you! What a cracking weekend we had, weather-wise. My happy moments of the week so far are news about Liam Gallagher's UK tour, finally booking an airbnb for our London trip (thanks for all your advice, by the way) and serious discussions with Mr P about writing a screenplay - a kind of Ben Wheatley/Scott Meadows-esque movie is being brainstormed every night and even if it comes to naught, it's inspired me to pick up my pen and get writing again so no bad thing. enjoy the rest of your special day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rosie. What a great selection of happy moments! Where did you end up booking your airbnb in the end? Do keep me updated on the screenplay - definitely sounds like something I'd watch already :) x

      Delete
    2. We plumped for Hammersmith in the end - a really nice apartment about a 2 minute walk away from the Apollo (Or Eventim, or whatever it;'s called). Will keep you in the loop about the screenplay - just need to get writing now.

      Delete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday lovely one! Weren't we bloody lucky with the weather? Your weekend sounds gorgeous, and you were well and truely spoilt (I'll be telling my partner to take notes!)

    I'm all about the food *especially* on special occasions I always over-indulge! As you know I am very jealous of everything you have on your doorstep in London! Next time I visit, you'll have to take me to all the best places xx

    Lynsey || One More Slice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynsey. We were so lucky, I can't remember the last bank holiday weekend like it!
      Absolutely, looking forward to it :) xx

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful long weekend! And happy (belated) birthday, I hope you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw sounds like a wonderful weekend - I definitely do love tacking a few days on and having a proper break. Hope you had the best birthday! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it sounds like you were thoroughly spoiled over the long weekend, and quite rightly so! I've never been to Primrose Hill but it sounds wonderful. I'll make a note to visit next time I'm in London x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit, I'm pretty terrible at staying within the "rules of WW", I tend to dig up wonderful bits from all over, as and when I remember them haha. I'm trying to be better at it, but you can be sure that at least half my wonderful things have occurred in a previous week.

    Happy belated birthday to you as well!

    What an great long weekend! We haven't had a long weekend for a while here in Belgie-Land, but hopefully we'll get an extra long one in November so I'm already thinking up plans for that.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Happy Go Lucky Cat. Design by FCD.